QT Sharing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jeremy.Chen

Number of posts : 22
Name : Jeremy Chen
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: QT Sharing   Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:23 pm

Hope everyone's having a great spring break! Anyway, I saw this "Devotions Sharing" section of the forum and was kinda sad about how this section is so much smaller than every other section of the forum, so I decided to post...

Ever since the new year, I've kinda been looking at Paul's letters in the NT. Today, I read through some of 1 Corinthians, and a few verses (1 Corinthians 4:1-5) really stood out to me. It reads:

1So then, men ought to regard us as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the secret things of God. 2Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. 3I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. 5Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.

When I started reflecting on this passage, the first thing that came to mind was: man, do people regard me as a servant of Christ? And to be honest, I don't think they do. It doesn't mean I should be fixated on making people think that I'm a servant of Christ (appearances, too, can be deceiving). It means that serving Christ should be my first priority, and that's something I've lost sight of - doing everything for God, with God. Walking with Christ shouldn't be confined to the quiet times that I spend with Him - it should extend (more and more each day) into my everyday life, so much so that people cannot deny His presence in my life, that people would indeed regard me as a "servant of Christ."

But that's not all. Verse 1 says that men should also regard us as "those entrusted with the secret things of God.” To me, “the secret things of God” are those things that even humans cannot fathom, those things that only God can reveal to us, those things that we cannot express in words. Not only should people see, through everything that I do, that I’m a servant of Christ, but they should see something special in me that is unfathomable by man. That’s a really, really tall order and I can’t say that I’m showing people that I’ve got something that’s amazing. And that’s really a shame because in Jesus, we have something unfathomably amazing! That also means that I should seek more and more of those “secret things of God.” It’s a reminder that I should never be content with the understanding that I have of God’s character and God’s grace because no matter how much I know, I can never know enough! This verse challenges me to look beyond everything that I think I know and dig deeper.

In case you guys don't know, I've been playing "Hosanna" over and over again for the past few months because I just cannot get over the lyrics. And this passage reminded me of “Hosanna” yet again. The whole song is rich with meaning, but the line that goes “Everything I am for your kingdom's cause” is a pretty heavy commitment, and this verse encourages us to make that commitment. The verse’s encouragement is twofold: through our prayer lives and our everyday lives we should have an undeniably intimate relationship with God. To give everything that we are.

So verse 2 reminds me that I should be “faithful” to what I believe in and “faithful” in digging deeper. I’m praying that God will help me develop faithfulness because it’s a tough one – it’s so easy to get distracted and lose sight of what’s important. It’s so easy for me to get caught up in things that aren’t my business, things that only God should judge. I’m really judgmental sometimes and that really gets in the way of things: it gets in the way of my relationships with other people and it gets in the way of my relationship with God.

“Hosanna” says: “I see a generation, rising up to take the place, with selfless faith, with selfless faith.” I don’t want to claim that I’m 100% sure about what selfless faith is, but I do know that most of the time, my faith is selfish. Ugh! So many times, I want only what’s convenient/comfortable for me. But this verse is calling me to “prove faithful” and this song is calling me to rise up with “selfless faith.” I want my faith to be selfless because ultimately, as verse 5 reminds us, God will do the judging. We shouldn’t even judge ourselves, much less others. This whole “selfless faith” thing is something that I still have to keep thinking about, and I hope you will too…

So I'm praying that, in the days ahead, you and I will continue our journeys toward becoming true servants of Christ, that we will be seen “as those entrusted with the secret things of God,” that we will prove faithful (with selfless faith, of course), that we will let God do the judging, that we will be accountable to the Lord, and that we will “wait till the Lord comes.”

As I walk from earth into eternity…

Well, that's all for me! Maybe the rest of you can share what you've been reading/hearing/thinking about too and make this QT sharing more regular? The forum could be a really good way to keep each other accountable, share, and encourage! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thisguyontv

Number of posts : 105
Name : Benson Ku
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: QT Sharing   Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:47 am

i dont know where to put this
i doubt it belongs here

anyways, so i was talking with my friend
and he basically asked me this question

god is supposed to do everything that is the best for us, where was he when horrible things like the holocaust occurred

i really didn't know how to answer him
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AhhhhitsJoseph

Number of posts : 648
Name : Joseph Wu
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: QT Sharing   Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:04 pm

I seriously feel the same way as you Jeremy. It seems that many so-called 'Christians' live a double life. We have our church life. We do everything 'good'. But in school, we are completely different. It's the same for me. In church I'm happier, I talk a lot more than I do in school, which tells you how much I talk in school. I school, my social life is almost non-existant. I can barely tolerate the people in my school except a select few.

There are many songs that stick out to me. They are mostly songs about giving your all to God. Hosanna is a nice example. Devotion is another. The Stand is decent one. I think we should really start learning to be more humble and Christ-like.

As for the holocaust question, tell your friend that God works in mysterious ways. Perhaps some of the Jews (Not saying anthing against them) were going to do some Hitler-like things. But it's only a guess...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thisguyontv

Number of posts : 105
Name : Benson Ku
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: QT Sharing   Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:31 pm

he mentioned that people always say god works in his own way

and he just cant see how the holocaust was for the best
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yeahitisfu
Admin

Number of posts : 289
Name : Eric FuFu
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: QT Sharing   Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:30 am

yeah, thanks for sharing Jeremy =)

to Benson, yes Holocaust is teribley teribly teribly sad, i've cried many time watching videos in history class....

I believe all the works are done by the evill, cuz i'm sure God didn't use Hitler to do His work...God made evil to test us, in suffering. In the camp, people were often ask to deny Christ, but God is looking for martyrs to stand up. Remember the message PJ gave about on suffering? Jesus suffered for us on the cross, and he says, who ever follows Him will have to suffer, but at the end there will be a price. So in the hard times, who still looks up to God? who still remain strong? that's what He is looking for.
another thing to look at is, God promise not to flood again, so look at the Jews, did they all die? no, bcuz God promise will not end the Israelites. God looks for the rightous
ones, and now, even after the hoocaust Iseral is still one of the
strongest country in the world, bcuz it has God's blessing.
Hope this helps=)

plz plz correct me if you think otherwise. =)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fecccrew.niceboard.net
pal11

Number of posts : 11
Name : Paul Lee
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: QT Sharing   Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:51 am

so yea, jermey and i were just talking about the holocasut thing over aim and this was what we came up with so yea....

paIll11 (12:14:07 AM): maybe the jews sinned or something against God
paIll11 (12:14:16 AM): and God just poured out His punishment amongst them
paIll11 (12:14:29 AM): 40 months i believe the Holocaust when on
jeremydchen (12:14:52 AM): really?
jeremydchen (12:15:00 AM): because we've all sinned against God
paIll11 (12:15:10 AM): true
paIll11 (12:15:18 AM): but i dunno
jeremydchen (12:15:19 AM): i don't think they did anything specifically bad that God released Old-Testament-style judgment
paIll11 (12:15:29 AM): well like moses
jeremydchen (12:15:32 AM): i would think more on the side of the nazis
paIll11 (12:15:41 AM): when he didn't obey God they were stuck in the desert for 40 years
paIll11 (12:15:52 AM): or maybe it's like job
paIll11 (12:15:59 AM): GOd just let satan do whatever he wished?
paIll11 (12:16:07 AM): it was a test?
jeremydchen (12:16:08 AM): right
jeremydchen (12:16:13 AM): i'd see it more like job
jeremydchen (12:16:16 AM): but i don't know about that
paIll11 (12:16:27 AM): yea
jeremydchen (12:16:29 AM): i'd want to look on the side of the nazis and what made hitler do what he did
paIll11 (12:17:04 AM): yea
jeremydchen (12:17:06 AM): i'd say that the jews were victims of what happened, but the root of the sin in that genocide was from the nazis
paIll11 (12:17:12 AM): yea
paIll11 (12:17:35 AM): maybe it's just a glimpse of what hell is like
paIll11 (12:18:40 AM): you know the expression hell on earth
paIll11 (12:18:43 AM): or something like that
jeremydchen (12:18:55 AM): right
paIll11 (12:19:07 AM): or maybe it's just man's fault
paIll11 (12:19:09 AM): man's sin
paIll11 (12:19:30 AM): how it was suppose to be something beautiful but man destroyed it and made it into something ugly
paIll11 (12:19:44 AM): i mean God could have easily used Hitler to spread the gospel
jeremydchen (12:21:34 AM): i think it also goes back to who we fundamentally are
jeremydchen (12:21:48 AM): that from the beginning, as humans, we chose free will
jeremydchen (12:21:55 AM): we told God, we're good enough to be our own God
jeremydchen (12:22:20 AM): and because of our pride, our foolishness, our sin... we suffer consequences
paIll11 (12:22:36 AM): definitely
jeremydchen (12:22:37 AM): sometimes these consequences are small, other times, they're flat out atrocious
paIll11 (12:22:46 AM): seriously
jeremydchen (12:22:50 AM): but these are consequences we chose when we picked free will over God's will
paIll11 (12:24:05 AM): so God was always there
paIll11 (12:24:10 AM): we just chose to ignore Him
paIll11 (12:24:24 AM): we just chose to not listen and run our own course
jeremydchen (12:27:05 AM): right
jeremydchen (12:27:16 AM): and because of that arrogance, horrible things happen
jeremydchen (12:27:29 AM): even to "good" people
jeremydchen (12:27:34 AM): we told God that we knew better
paIll11 (12:29:15 AM): yea
paIll11 (12:29:16 AM): exactly
jeremydchen (12:29:59 AM): so we give into our imperfect natures, and hitler really took that to an extreme
paIll11 (12:30:55 AM): yup
paIll11 (12:31:15 AM): now even through all our mistakes and faults
paIll11 (12:31:24 AM): God still makes someway to make it beautiful
paIll11 (12:31:31 AM): so where is it?
jeremydchen (12:32:13 AM): because, in light of Jesus' sacrifice, He is merciful and loving and kind and good
jeremydchen (12:32:32 AM): He wants to reveal Himself because he still logns for us
jeremydchen (12:32:56 AM): that's why it's the ultimate choice when we pick him and choose to make His will ours completely, when we surrender completely
paIll11 (12:33:43 AM): that's right
paIll11 (12:35:35 AM): but yea like maybe it's because the jews were still in denial
paIll11 (12:36:29 AM): because after Jesus died for us, they are still waiting at the wall, waiting on God or something to come and rescue them or somethign when He already did
jeremydchen (12:39:06 AM): right, they are still hard-hearted and unwilling to embrace God's mercy
paIll11 (12:39:14 AM): yea

so yea if there are more questions or anything, feel free to ask, so yea...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yeahitisfu
Admin

Number of posts : 289
Name : Eric FuFu
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: QT Sharing   Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:51 am

i used to think it's God's punishments for us, but think about it, am I more holy than those Jews? no, so why doesn't God destory us? cuz in the N.T. God is not a God of wrath but a God of love, all those thing(holocaust etc. ) are all done by the evil and through out the hard times, God seeks for the one remains standing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fecccrew.niceboard.net
ThatAsianKid

Number of posts : 695
Name : Tim Lau
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: QT Sharing   Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:29 pm

Another thing is that God lets us decide what we're going to do, so I guess Hitler chose to persecute the Jews. Now he's getting punished for what he did by being seperated from God forever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.freerice.com
AhhhhitsJoseph

Number of posts : 648
Name : Joseph Wu
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: QT Sharing   Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:58 pm

It could have also been a test to test the people who were not Jews or Nazis. Maybe God was trying to test them to see how they would help the Jews. We failed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jigglychum123

Number of posts : 56
Name : Jane Che
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: QT Sharing   Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:09 pm

Wow, so deep! I never even thought of all that Holocaust stuffO_o
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThatAsianKid

Number of posts : 695
Name : Tim Lau
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: QT Sharing   Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:58 pm

i don't really know where to put this
but, those who haven't gotten jack and uncle ken's email devos, i highly suggest that you give one of them your email and get their devo
it's really, really, really good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.freerice.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QT Sharing   

Back to top Go down

QT Sharing
Page 1 of 1